Short Kerala trip itinerary.
(I wrote this itinerary for one of my first guests and now a very close friend who want to visit kerala and gave me an opportunity to make an itinerary for her. I tried my best and thought this can help many other travellers who are visiting God’s own country in near future.)
Since Kochi lie midway to North and south kerala hence this itinerary is in two parts. You can chose where you want to go first depending upon weather you are beach or mountain person.
Land to Kochi stay a day or two explore the place. why so less time coz you are coming anyway back to Kochi to complete second leg of journey so better to take some time and relax.
- Since I live lake side hence I would prefer going to North first basically hills.
From Kochi take a taxi or bus to Munnar (bus takes around 5 hrs which is much cheap than taxi) here a point to be noted to book your hotel or hostel with tea garden view since nothing is dirt cheap in Munnar why not to pay a bit extra and enjoy the beauty of tea gardens till your eyes can see.
- If you visit Munnar don’t forget to visit Kollukumalai with is Highest Organic Tea Garden of world. Once you reach up you can literally feel you are over clouds and mist blows from downward to your face which is one of a kind experience .
- From Munnar next trip you can plan is for Athirapally falls which is one of the biggest and spectacular waterfalls of India.
- Next trip you can plan for Periyar wildlife sanctuary and don’t forget to take a boat ride in Lake.
- Come back to Kochi and visit Cherai beach. If u want to relax then spend over night to come to Alleppey which is just two hour drive e from Kochi.
- Take a houseboat trip and canoe trip to backwaters. Visit temples, villages by lake and enjoy some local delicacies. Visit Marari beach which is one of the most beautiful beaches of India and its significance lies in the fact that 3 oceans meet here so swimmers are advised to be cautious. Can visit Parthiramanal Island which is also bird sanctuary.
- From Alleppy drive to Wayanad for coffee plantation and one of most primitive cave visit Edakkal caves. Hike to Chambers peak and view mesmerizing heat shaped lake. Wayanad also have a wild life sanctuary which is seasonal open for tourists so check before going.
- From varkala one can go Kollam which has world famous ‘Amma Ashram’. And spend a night at Munroe Island.
- Visit varkala which is one of the most beautiful cliff beach and its more of hippie destination hence one of most visited places of south India. Book some ayurveda massage, visit 100 year old shiva temple, shop, enjoy multicusine restaurants.
- You can go Kappil from varkala which is beautiful ride with one side like and other side Indian ocean. Highway crosses just from the middle of both. (this can also be covered from Alleppy to varkala drive).
- From varkala one can visit Trivendrum and visit Kovalam beach. Though it’s a town but one must try few Arabian restaurants which are very cheap and serve delicious food. Neyyar Dam is another attraction for tourist.
From here one can either take their flight from trivendrum or go back to Kochi or Chennai which most people go for their flight.